Saturday, July 27, 2013

Skagway 2

"....stuck in Skagway with the Memphis blues again..." (My apologies to Bob Dylan.)

I realize now that I should have gone up to Whitehorse for a couple of days before I came to Skagway. I want to spend a couple of days there and my plan was to do it after I hike the Chilkoot. I arrived in Skagway a week too early and instead of sitting here I could have spent the time I wanted to in Whitehorse. After driving all those miles my focus was solely on getting to Skagway so I'm kind of stuck here now.

I have been putting most of my time to good use. I drove the road over to Dyea which gives you an overlook of either the Skagway River or the Tiyia River. And there I spotted...whales!


                                     
 
Two of them just leisurely cruising down the river/bay/estuary, what ever that body of water was. Pretty cool!
 
From this height advantage point I took additional photos of Skagway.
 



The young lady that took my photo was leading a tour group. She was from Bemidji. At least it is a different pose.
 
About 4 days ago somehow I must have sprained my left ankle. I don't remember doing anything to it but I have been running. Yesterday, I hiked a pretty tough trail that goes right up out of downtown Skagway and up the mountainside. My ankle bothered me quite a bit and this is without a pack on. It swelled up pretty good last night. I'm a little concerned that this might interfere with my plans to hike the Chilkoot. I've got a few days yet to see how it comes along before I have to decide.
 
And on a final somber note...J J Cale died. I really enjoy his music. I had the time here so I watched several Youtube videos of him playing with Eric Clapton and others. I have some of his music with me and will play it today in his memory.
 
I'm anxious to get moving again but right now I'm in a holding pattern.



5 comments:

  1. Hope your ankle heals quickly so you can do your long awaited hike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeanne. I'm sure Terry is mourning JJ Cale's death as I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both are. Terry introduced me to his music in law school. Played a couple cds in tribute on Sunday.

      Delete
  3. Whoa, whales! That's not something you see in the BWCA, that's for sure. Very cool.

    Yeah, sorry to hear about your ankle. That sucks. Are you icing it? Maybe you could stick it one of those lakes/estuaries for 15 minutes or so, a few times a day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike, I finally got in to "comments" (thanks to Marne). Your trip is fascinating and the pictures are gorgeous (well, except the ones with you in them). Looks very similar to parts of Switzerland. Hope your ankle is okay. I am enjoying being along! (or a Long).

    ReplyDelete