Wednesday, July 10, 2013


I have been doing some training for the difficult uphill part of the Chilkoot Trail (a joint American and Canadian National Park). I run my usual two miles 2 or 3 times a week. There are no hills around Glencoe so I put on my pack and hike the stairs at the High School football stadium. I do about 1000 steps mixing in laps around the track. I'm sure it won't be enough but at least I am getting used to having the pack on my back.

A problem has arisen that may delay my departure. The "check engine" light has come on a few times this last month. It always went out by the next day so I didn't pay much attention to it. The light came on again this last Sunday so I decided to get it checked out. Brought it in Tuesday and received a call that they have to order parts that may be "2 to 3" days. Now my Friday departure is looking "iffy". I have plenty of time so it is not a big problem but no one likes a delay. My reservation to hike the Chilkoot starts August 1st so I just have to be to Skagway by that date.

While my Durango may not be ready, the camper is all set to go, washed, waxed, the roof treated, old water flushed out and new water added to the tank and the inside cleaned and ready to go. Since I am traveling alone, I have plenty of space so I am sure I am bringing way too much stuff.  But I am hoping to be pretty independent all 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment