Thursday, July 25, 2013

Skagway 1

It is a damp, gloomy, overcast day in Skagway today. I'm going to let it warm up a little and then go for a run.

Yesterday, however, I had a beautiful, sunny day as I drove from Atlin to Carcross and then to Skagway. As has been most of this journey, the drive was along a long river or mountain lake with mountains going up on either sides of the road. Spectacular scenery all the way.

I had driven past the turn off to Carcross and then turned around and went back as I am way ahead of my schedule. I'm glad I did. There were three miners that started the Klondike gold rush, Skookum Jim Mason, Tagish Dawson Charlie and George Carmack. Skookum Jim and Dawson Charlie are buried in Carcross and so is the wife of George Carmack, Kate. Skookum Jim and Dawson Charlie were first nation men, guides and prospectors. Kate was Jim's sister and Dawson Charlie was Jim's nephew. I did not see the graveyard.

The story goes that the three of them were out prospecting for gold along Rabbit Creek (later renamed as Bonanza Creek). While waiting out a rainstorm, Jim went down to the creek with a bucket to get water for tea. In a crack in the rock he spotted a line of yellow colored material and scooped up a handful and went up to George to ask what it was. It was gold of course and the gold rush was on.

Carcross was part of the historic Chilkoot Trail but the current hiking trail stops one town short at Bennett. Carcross has many old log buildings but there is also some very new construction going on.
 

OK, OK, I know I look the same in every picture but when you ask a stranger to take your picture you can't be too spontaneous.


Dr. Schoenberger's retirement office.



To support the local economy, I purchased a large cinnamon roll and a piece of chocolate cake here.

I loved the blue of the church with the bright blue sky behind it.



Four of these small shops were either just completed or under construct
 
The Duchess was built in 1883 and used by the White Pass & Yukon Railway until 1920. From 1920 to 1931 it was used as a trash burner. It has been on display since 1931.
 
 
After leaving Carcross, I drove to Skagway and it was another spectacular highway.


                                    




 
 
I had a chance to walk around some of Skagway last night. There was a light rain and it was later in the evening so most of the cruise ship folks were back on board their ship. OK, think Grand Marais with cruise ships docking everyday. A mix of old and new and tourist attractions. It seems like an interesting and fun town. I should get to know it pretty well since I have six days before I begin my hike.
 
 






Soapy Smith was a famous villain in the gold rush days. That was until a group of unknown citizens took justice into their own hands and killed him. There wasn't much more you could do in these days.


This photo is for Allie and Liz. They'll get a kick out of this.


Possibly Doug and Lynda's cruise ship?


                                        Statute honoring Skookum Jim and Dawson Charlie.




 Doug and Lynda's motel.
 
 
 
The sun is trying to break out and the temp is in the mid 60s so it is time for me to get a run in. Hope you are all well in the "real" world!

6 comments:

  1. Gosh, I hope that's not our hotel - or we'll be staying with you in the RV! :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the misspelling of your name the second time (and all of my other typos). It's too bad our schedules don't cross anywhere. It would be good to see you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marne asks, "Does Skagway know that 'Meester Wheeskers' is walking its streets??"

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't escape the tanzanite, Meester Wheeskers! Hahaha. Love all the photos, Dad! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lizard-I thought you would get a kick out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ACK! Tanzanite!! ("Don't you want me, tanzanite, don't you want me, oh-o-ohhhh!") I had no idea that every cruise ship port in the Entire World sells tanzanite. Weird.

    And: Ostrich goods. What?

    I love love love all the funny old interesting colorful buildings! What's the one covered in sticks, is that the Arctic Order clubhouse, or something like that?

    Skagway reminds me a bit of Leadville, CO. Leadville has a grander few blocks downtown with larger buildings, but all the side streets have funny buildings like these, and there are mountains all around. Great job with the photos; seeing the town from up in the distance is nice; we can get a sense of the scope of it.

    ReplyDelete