Sunday, September 1, 2013

Wrangell-St Elias NP, The Road to Haines Junction...and Bears

In the RV world, primitive camping without electricity, water, WiFi and Tv is called "boondocking". You haven't heard from me because I have been boondocking in some great campgrounds the last 4 days.

On Tuesday I left Anchorage and drove the Glenn Hwy and the Tok Cutoff Hwy. The Tok Cutoff runs along the north side of the Wrangell-St Elias NP. This means that the driving was beautiful the whole day. Mountains and mountain river valleys all day. It was a great day of driving.

The Wrangell-St Elias NP is in excess of 10 million (yes "million") acres. I thought I read somewhere that it is 13 million acres. Even though it is that large there is very little penetration into the park. It is virtually an untouched wilderness. One of the only two roads into the park is the Nabesna Road off the Tok Cutoff. The Nebesna Road goes about 43 miles into the park. The first 15 miles is paved then it becomes a rough gravel road. I drove in about 30 miles.

There is no charge to enter the park and no charge to camp. I think the park people are so happy to have some visitors that they let us in free. One night I camped at a new campground in the park (the only campground) built just last year. Very nice. There are also waysides and pull offs where you can camp which I did one night also. All free!

I did a hike of about 7.5 miles. It was 46 degrees and raining when I started.

The Caribou Creek Trail 
 
 
Typical permafrost moss vegetation.
 
 This beautiful public use cabin was at the end of the trail and I was able to dry out among the clouds.

 


The next day I continued along the Tok Cutoff and in the middle of an empty highway I came across this bear family.

Mother bear and two cubs. 
 
 
                                   
              


A cub checking on Mom.
 
 
 
Thursday night I stayed at the Snag Junction Yukon Gov't CG. Friday I hit the road again and came across some friends.

 

 


 
 
He decided to cool off in the stream.
 
Here he sits and looks back. This is where he spotted me because he immediately got up and ambled into the woods.
 
I drove for quite awhile along Kluane Lake. The largest lake in the Yukon Territories.
 
I had more pictures I wanted to post but the WiFi here is really slow. This post has taken 2 1/2 hours already. I have to get to bed and get my beauty sleep.
 
 I made it to Haines today. I have a hike planned tomorrow, weather permitting. There is a 70% chance for rain. Haines will be the next post. Maybe I can find a faster WiFi somewhere in town.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you were surrounded by friends! How was the dust level in the RV after driving all those gravel miles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! All those bears! That's really cool. How far away were they? Were you super-zooming on your camera?

    I don't know if the Boundary Waters will ever seem exciting to you again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the bears! So cute....from a safe distance. Thanks for posting even though it takes so long!

    ReplyDelete